Functional Skills English
Entry Level 2-3
- Writing a sentence
- Using a dictionary
- Speaking & listening
- Punctuation – using capital letters, full stops and commas
- Writing letters and emails
- Writing to describe/inform
45 mins classroom based
- Write clearly and coherently, including an appropriate level of detail.
- Present information in a logical sequence.
- Use language, format and structure suitable for purpose and audience.
- Use correct grammar and consistent use of tense.
- Accurate punctuation and spelling with clear meaning.
- Identify variety of texts.
- Read and understand texts in detail.
- Utilise information contained in texts.
- Identify suitable responses to texts.
1 hour reading + 1 hour writing exam
- Speaking, listening and communication ( contribute to the formal discussion of ideas and opinions and make effective presentations)
- Present information/ideas concisely, logically and persuasively.
- Present information on complex subjects clearly and concisely.
- Writing styles for different purposes.
- Sentence structures, complex sentences and paragraphs.
- Punctuate written text using commas, apostrophes and inverted commas.
- Ensure written fits purpose and audience.
- Accurate spelling and grammar that support clear meaning in a range of text types.
- Select and use different types of texts to obtain and utilise relevant information.
- Read and summarise, succinctly, information/ideas from different sources.
- Identify the purposes of texts and meaning conveyed.
- Detect point of view, implicit meaning and/or bias.
- Analyse texts in relation to audience needs and consider suitable responses.
1 hour reading + 1 hour and 15 mins writing exam